This blog is my story. My journey to better health. A place to write my thoughts, share my ideas about health, and give tips on losing weight and keeping it off.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Here for the Party (Day Twenty-three)

Have you ever had one of those days where you just want to throw in the towel? Just say screw it; I am finished; I have had enough. You start asking yourself Is it worth it? What good is this doing me? Why do I bother seeing this through to the very end, when I know nothing is really going to change? I am never going to lose the rest of this weight!


You’re just having yourself a grand old pity party. You spared no expense! You pulled out all your past failures and celebrated each one. You  convinced yourself that you really were destined to be overweight and lifeless. There is no way you're going to be able to change your life in the short term so you can live better in the long term. Let the party begin! You cut yourself a nice piece of self-loathing, smothered with a good portion of give up. Let’s not forget to add some I can’t and I will never to that plate. Finally, we will wash it all down with a big glass of low self-esteem.


You look around to see if all your guests are enjoying the party. But hold on...Wait a minute. You're the only one there. Nobody else showed up to your pity party. Well that is just rude! I told them all how I had started this new weight loss plan. I told them I was going to the gym again. I told them this time it was gonna work.They should have known I would fail just like I always do.They should be here to help me wallow in this latest tragedy.


I know this sounds a little dramatic but it is true for all of us on some level. How many times have you tried and tried to get healthy? You have bought every single weight loss aid that is available.You have bought into the lies of those money-grabbing people who prey on the hurts and desperation of overweight people. You give it your best and do good for a little while only to crash and burn. What did you do wrong? What did you miss? Well I'm glad you asked!


The first key to successful weight loss is to have a reason--a good reason--a reason that will stand up to the test of months, sometimes even years. Some might say I want to lose the weight for a class reunion or a wedding. That is great short term goal not a great reason. A great reason needs to carry you past the goal, past a time limit and circumstance. A great reason should be something you have to change your entire life for. Something that is really important. Something that is so special that it is hard to utter it without getting a little emotional. That is a great reason.


The second key is to forget about a diet. They don’t work. Depriving yourself of food triggers a mental reaction which triggers a physical reaction. You will get to the point where eating only cardboard and paper is just too much! You will have a mental reaction that says I can’t gag this down anymore! So you inhale a hamburger or a chocolate bar-- a physical reaction. In order to lose weight and keep it off you need to have a plan that you can stick with for the rest of your life. Notice I said a plan not a diet. A plan will give you some guidelines to follow that are easy to maintain, easy to shop for and easy to prepare. You need food that tastes good and is a joy to eat and share with others because food is meant to be celebrated and enjoyed, not feared or misused.


The third key is exercise. Yes, you have to exercise. It is a must! Your body has got to be given the opportunity to stretch and move on a daily basis. You need to get your joints moving and those muscles stretched out. It is very very important! You have heard the phrase if you don't use it you will lose it. This is especially true when it comes to exercising your body. You have to move to keep things well-oiled and free from injury. I have found that if I don't do my yoga as soon as I get up, my spine feels like a squeezed-in accordion. I hurt all day and can barely walk. If I do do my yoga ,my spine is stretched and everything is aligned. The blood is able to freely flow to all parts of my body to bring nourishment and healing. Find something you enjoy whether it is tennis, swimming, weight-lifting, or even just a wonderful walk. Just do something!

I have spent the past 10 years battling chemical issues with my food, and in the process I have learned a lot about what really is good and safe for my body. I have had to make some extreme changes to my diet. I know what works for me won’t work for everybody. Everyone has different need and issues with their own health. But with the three keys I just gave applied to fit your own life I feel confident you will find the right path for you. Have a good reason, enjoy a healthy diet, and pick up a pleasurable exercise!


Breakfast
3 eggs over-easy
blueberries


Lunch
mashed potato


Dinner

For more information on this experiment, check out my introduction here!

No comments:

Post a Comment